Types of industrial lagoons
The industrial field is extremely important for the worldwide economy. According to the National Industry Confederation (CNI), in 2019 the industries were responsible for 21,2% of the Brazilian’s GDP. In such a relevant economic activity branch, it’s fundamental to understand and apply solutions that reduce the environmental impacts, such as industrial lagoons.
Regardless of its end, the industrial lagoons are a viable and green solution with many ends. Different from the emergency lagoons, which must be applied only in sporadic cases, they are considered part of the productive process. The main types of industrial lagoons functions are:
- Lagoons for the treatment of effluents;
- Lagoons for water reservoir (water for fires, industrial water, rainwater, reusable water etc.);
- Emergency lagoons (leakage retention, retention of non-specified effluent, diverse retentions);
- Lagoon of processes (leakage equalization, process of reactors, storage of chemical products etc);
- Landscaping lagoons.
Silt removal process in industrial lagoon
To remove silt from an industrial lagoon through dredging, Allonda executes the following steps:
- Dredging engineering project: correct sizing of the construction; predictability of needed resources; identification of critical points of the enterprise; appropriateness of the equipment to the project and to the material to be dredged; founded planning in directed action plans; real and achievable schedule.
- Hydrographic survey: multibeam or single beam bathymetry; side-scan; shallow seismic; magnetometry.
- Geotechnical survey: characterization of material to be dredged; identification of the best conformity of the slope; subsidies for the identification for distribution of sedimentary layers in the area.
- Lab tests and field studies: definition of mid and extreme hydro and morphodynamics; definition of silt; precise dimensioning and operational safety; simulation and operation.
- Dredging: specific equipment and technological usages for the necessity of the construction, properly mapped on engineering dredging project phase – we have non-tenable electrical dredges for safety and health reasons.
- Sediment treatment: dehydration solutions on physical characteristics of silt for the reduction of present water, with free water, interstitial or pore water, vicinal water and water of chemistry bond construction of treatment stations with polymer and drainage cells; management, classification and study for the destination of waste.
The silt removal process of an industrial lagoon varies according to the locations of the field, the objective of the drainage project, the type of material to be dredged, amongst other aspects – Allonda holds accountability for the whole cycle of this process.
Decommissioning of industrial lagoons
Industrial lagoons can be removed from operations if they have reached their useful life, or because the activity which it is destined to was interrupted. At this point, a series of procedures have to be taken to recover the area assure that there isn’t any passive and future impacts. Allonda, through the action of its multidisciplinary specialized team, offers projects and services to fulfill this task. Take a look on some of them:
- Silt and waste removal (dredging, drainage treatment for the removed waste, destination of waste etc.);
- Capping of industrial lagoons with contaminated material;
- Removal of waterproofing and restoration of the field (material import and rent, landfill, compression and plantation of vegetable species etc.);
- Remediation of contaminated soil and water layer;
- Decommissioning of analysis systems and monitoring of soil and water layer.
Operation and maintenance of industrial lagoons
Although it’s a solution that offers low cost-benefit, the industrial lagoons need periodical maintenance and cleaning, regardless of the function they have for the industry. That’s why they may need simple services such as jetting of the structure with water, as well as more complex ones, such as drainage and silt removal. Besides, the process of maintenance may include waterproofing and rebuild of the structures, amongst other processes.
In this sense, the maintenance of industrial lagoons is a essential process, mainly for the conservation of the its productivity, and can also avoid environmental passives resulting on the contamination of soil, rivers and groundwater.
Throughout its history, Allonda has provided green friendly engineering solutions to maintain the industrial lagoons. Our specialists are highly trained to provide those services, that include:
- Operation of lagoon systems, through the serving of workforce and specialized consulting, chemical products, equipment, and supervision;
- Operation of monitoring and analysis systems of soil and water layer of industrial lagoons;
- Maintenance of equipment change (pumps, ventilation systems, valves, floodgates, instrumentation etc.);
- Maintenance and change of waterproofing equipment (clay compaction, installing of geomembrane and textile, waterproofing concrete etc.)
- Silt removal and remotion of waste (dredging, treatment and drainage of removed waste, destination of waste etc.)
- Structural maintenance of civil constructions and earthwork;
- Rebuilt and reconstitution of lagoons;
- Remediation of soil and water layer contaminated by lagoons.
Construction and implantation of industrial lagoons
Allonda has a wide experience in earthwork constructions in general, specially in projects and works for construction and implementation of industrial lagoons. Our multidisciplinary team is set by highly capacitated specialists with experience in:
- Dimensioning and engineering projects;
- Earthwork constructions (digging, cut, landfill, compacting etc.);
- Waterproofing services (clay compacting, geomembrane and geotextile installing, waterproof concrete etc.);
- Installing of hydraulic systems (tubulations, channels, valves, floodgates etc.);
- Installing od mechanic systems (pumps, superficial and submersible aerators, aerating by diffuse, mixers etc.);
- Monitoring and control (level controls, dissolved oxygen, pH, conductivity, quality parameters for water in genera etc.);
- Installing of analysis and monitoring systems of soil and water layer.